Benefits Offered to City Employees
The City of Dothan provides a diverse package of benefit programs for eligible employees, administered by the Personnel Department. The core package includes paid leave plans, a defined benefit retirement plan, and group health, life, and dental insurance plans. In addition, the City offers a (Section 125d) Flexible Compensation Plan, direct deposit, credit unions, and a defined contribution (Section 457) retirement plan.
Paid Leave Plans
- Vacation leave (12 days per calendar year)
- Sick leave (12 days per calendar year)
- Holiday leave (12 days per calendar year)
- Military leave (21 days per calendar year)
Retirement Systems of Alabama
The Retirement Systems of Alabama provide a defined benefit plan providing eligible employees with a specific benefit at retirement, based on a formula.
- Group Health (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama)
- Group Life (UNUM)
- Group Dental (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama)
Section 457 Defined Contribution Retirement Plans
- Section 457 plans are tax-deferred defined contribution retirement plans available to government employees. The City offers a deferred compensation option through the Retirement Systems of Alabama (RSA-1).
Section 125d Flexible Compensation Plans
- Pre-tax Medical Expense Reimbursement Account
- Pre-tax Dependent Care Expense Reimbursement Account
- Pre-Tax Insurance Premium Plan
- Direct Deposit
- Two Credit Unions
- Voluntary employee and/or dependent life insurance through UNUM
- Voluntary employee and/or dependent vision coverage through Avesis
- Voluntary employee short term disability coverage and accident coverage through UNUM
- City of Dothan Life Insurance Information (PDF)